Nothing phoney about mobile ban

SWAN Hill school students will be forced to switch off their mobile phones from the start of next year under a technology crackdown by the state government.

Phones will be banned at all Victorian public primary and secondary schools from term one.

The new policy will ban students from using their phones between the start of the school day to the final bell. Pictured are Swan Hill College principal Andrew Sartori and year 12 student Jack Delmenico. Picture: LILLIAN ALTMAN

The new policy will ban students from using their phones between the start of the school day to the final bell. Pictured are Swan Hill College principal Andrew Sartori and year 12 student Jack Delmenico. Picture: LILLIAN ALTMAN

Minister for Education James Merlino made the announcement last week to reduce distraction, tackle cyberbullying and improve learning outcomes for students.

Swan Hill College principal Andrew Sartori said the school had already implemented a ban of their own.

"We do think that phones are a distraction, but they can also augment education at times," Mr Sartori told The Guardian.

"I think plenty of our teachers use it in a beneficial way in education.

"But the ban needs to be consistent and there needs to be rules around when phones are used and why they're used. It just can't be used for open slather."

For more of this story, grab a copy of the July 1 edition of The Guardian.