Rescue operations in Taiwan have started to wind down after a devastating 6.4-magnitude earthquake rocked the tourist area of Hualien this week, taking a toll of 12 dead and five missing.
More than 270 people were injured when Tuesday's quake hit the eastern coastal city just before midnight, toppling four buildings, ripping large fissures in roads and unleashing panic among the roughly 100,000 residents.
More than 200 aftershocks followed, hampering a round-the-clock rescue effort in which emergency personnel battled rain and cold to comb rubble in a search for survivors.
Efforts on Friday narrowed to finding five Chinese nationals still missing after rescuers pulled two bodies, identified as Canadian citizens from Hong Kong, out of a 12-storey residential building that had been left tilting at a 45-degree angle.
Authorities said they would focus their search on the single building where the five missing were believed to be.
"The military will continue to prioritise today rescuing the missing people in the Yun Men Tsui Ti residential building," it said in a statement.
The building's extreme displacement made the search tough, the government said in a statement, adding, "The space for our operations is small, so the progress of search and rescue can be slow."
Power was restored to all affected areas in Hualien, although 8500 homes are still without water.
The military will work with local government officials to develop a plan to demolish a hotel, a residential building and other dangerous buildings, it said in its statement.
The government vowed to redouble efforts to revise building regulations, aiming to limit damage in any future episodes.
Taiwan revised its building act on January 30 to strengthen investigations of the structures of existing buildings and inspection of completed projects, the interior ministry said on Friday.
The government added that it would hasten reconstruction of old buildings to make them earthquake-resistant.
Australian Associated Press