What is worse than finding a snake in your house? Finding a snake inside your helmet.
This is what happened to the crew at Rutherford Fire Station in the Hunter Region this week. According to NSW Fire and Rescue a firie discovered the reptile hiding inside his helmet.
Luckily no one was injured and the red-bellied black snake was safely removed by a professional handler.
This is not the first time a snake has slithered somewhere it should not be.
Snakes in unexpected places
Snake the best discount deals
Aberglasslyn residents were shocked to find a brown snake making its way through a local Woolworths in November, but the shopper was also spotted at a salon at Stockland McKeachies Run earlier in the day.
Snake surprise at breakfast
Meanwhile, in October, customers at a Newcastle cafe got a side of scary with their eggs on Sunday after the discovery of a 1.5 metre eastern brown snake coiled up in a pot plant.
The owner of Lexies on the Beach at Stockton, Nick Sovechles, thought the snake, hidden among plants in an entryway planter box, was a toy.
Knock-knock hiss: There's a snake at the front door!
Remember this one? Anita Johnson was inside her Stockton home with her two sons, aged 5 and 1, when she heard the snake banging at the door.
"It was banging its head on the door," she said. "It was striking at the door."
Brown snake outside a Newcastle family's home Photo: Anita Johnson
The youngster you don't want at school
When a jeuvenille red-bellied black snake arrived at Gillieston Public School, the students took it in their stride.
They nicknamed the snake "Rex" before it was collected by Cessnock District Rescue Squad volunteers.
Rescue squad spokesperson James Harris said the school first spotted the reptile earlier this week, and were told to keep a close eye out for it in case it popped up again.
Slinky vs. the Snake
It wasn't all slithering terror. Late in October, a miniature Dachshund called Slinky bravely faced off against brown snake at Stockton.
The one metre snake entered the backyard of Slinky's Newcastle Street home on a Wednesday afternoon.
Tracey Hartigan was inside when she heard seven-year-old Slinky barking.
When she went to investigate with her 11-year-old daughter Priya, they found the miniature Daschund running around the yard with the snake in her mouth.
The Newcastle Herald
The story Unwelcome visitor gives NSW firefighter a nasty surprise first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.